Friday, June 8, 2012

Blessed beyond measure



The month of May has come and gone, and some days (although it was only 5 days ago) I'm convinced it didn't happen. It was glorious, in every form of the word. I saw a few folks I love (namely my family who I hadn't seen since...before Easter? Eeeesh.), took a killer day trip to my first Cubs game, and spent most of my time at MCC helping get ready for Adventure Week! (I love children, and Jesus, and administrative tasks, and the children's ministry staff...it.was.awesome.) 

After a long, HOT, day of walking St. Louis...but how cool is this?! I wasn't even mad it was at the Cardinal's stadium.I will also only briefly mention that the Cubs WON this game 6-4 :)


So for now, it's back to the books. I'm taking 2 classes this semester, Motor Speech Disorders (aka neuroanatomy, aka 7:30am, aka ouch) and AAC. I'm thrilled that I get to balance a class I would trade for just about anything (except math!) with a class I'm so passionate about. Since my first AAC class in undergrad, I've been completely borderline obsessed with the topic. Everything from the frustration and challenges it presents from the very beginning, to the sweet reward of watching communication happen....I couldn't be happier that this is a part of what I will get to do every day for the rest of my life!

AAC Poss-abilities Camp 2010 at IPFW; my first real introduction to AAC and all that it encompasses-I love each of these faces!

Which leads me to my first "blessed beyond measure": I can communicate. Any way I darn well please. I spend most of all day, more days that not, either working with or talking about delays, disorders and things that need "fixed" and I so often overlook the fact that I am completely capable of all these things. Without a second thought, most of the time. It could be, like I said, that my thought patterns are a little skewed, but do you know how COOL that is?!? 3.5 million Americans have communication needs. Holy moley. How blessed am I that I am not only not one of them, but I get to help them!! 

And to add a third blessing to this list, I get to spend the rest of my life loving on the people who have encountered, these, and other countless things who add them to the list of their blessings. It's had to remember at 7:45 in the morning when I'm in a classroom talking about neurons, but this is my calling- my God-given passion to love and equip and somehow better the lives of the people around me.

Without being a super nerd and talking about all the other crazy things I'm learning about the body, and communication in general, I think I can sum up what has been "hitting me over the head" so to speak these past two days:
1. " For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth." Psalm 139:13-15

2.


3.
And THIS is why I want to be an SLP.
I love my job. 


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment